VOM Death Throes

VOM Death Throes

Postby Melodeous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I think we're seeing it at HC. Since Chris Baker (Stackabones) left the forum the VOM has been steadily faltering. Maybe it's because his and Ohioarrow's presence breathed life into it or the forum conditions were different, more vibrant, I couldn't say. But, I think those halcyon days have ebbed and it's living its final days. Another chapter?
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Re: VOM Death Throes

Postby Ohioarrow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Yea, I am sorry to see it happen too, it was pretty sweet at it's peak.
=> Joe

Member: SAWG Society
Styles: 70s & 80s classic rock; Ballads; Easy Listening; Basically - anything mellow and sweet.
Influences: Tommy Emmanuel; David Gilmour; Michael Chapdelaine

What's cool?
Check out the - HCAG Monthly Virtual Open Mic (VOM) - Now with Music Hosting!
Ohioarrow

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Possibly...I honestly think the crappy dependability issues of H-C, in general, is a lot of the problem. As long as M-C and MelodyVine functions so well, there's not a lot of reason to waste a lot of time on H-C...as slow as it's been lately, I tend to give H-C 5 minutes, tops, then come over here and/or M-C and or other sites.

And once I seduce all the folks that I enjoy interacting with @ H-C into coming to either/both place(s), I'll likely wipe my hands of H-C.
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Postby Opa John » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm getting pretty much burnt out on all of the forums. Seems like it always just the SOS, different day.

I had this novel idea that maybe I should just get back to playing more and talking less. :jam:

In any case...I have to agree. Looks like HCAG is in its "end days". The VOM, anyway.
2009 Yamaha FG730S TB
2001 Martin DM
2010 Yamaha CS-40
2013 Martin MMV dreadnought
Opa John

Postby Melodeous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Terry, won't happen in this lifetime unless HC packs it in. Remember The Annex? The gist of that was an innocently enough planned venue for folks with serious playing interests to showcase their work and interact from a writer's perspective. Crap, after a few of the HC malcontents started making silly noises about Krash being - of all things - a traitor (those were the words used!) to HC they rallied the HC forces behind them and Frank became labeled HC's public enemy No.1. That was some pretty hurtful stuff they were slinging. That's a hard memory for me. Frank was a true music loyalist.

Now, however, the crowd is different and a lot more mellow and open minded but it would still remain loyal to HC if The Annex were to reprise itself. In a manner of speaking it has in this site - MelodyVine - and we see the traffic it gets. Our high profile TN.Frank has let everyone know over at HCAGF if they want to speak with him he'll be here. Okay, and...?

Opa, you do have the right idea about playing more. I do that. I play between posts and reading. I'm working on a bunch of stuff (originals) for a planned CD project Gil (G6120) has offered his skills to master. I'm sure it'll be published posthumously but at least I'll have left a bit of myself to my kids. I kid about the posthumous remark. I'm so slow and terrible with recording it may hold some truth.

Musician Central is a fine place to kick the dust around, too. But, if HC was to sink this and/or MC would suffer the influx, AGF would be banning like crazy and the UMGF would be overwhelmed by challenges with Takamine, Yamaha, Ibanez, Gibson and every other brand speak. Just the PP and GJ forum members alone would poison the various other sites.

All speculation. HC's IT trouble is real. They're in a bad way corporately and cutting back everywhere. Forum solvency will be getting the least attention while other more important IT maintenance is performed and monitored. I don't think the current issues are an event. I think they will be a trend unless something really good happens to their bottom line and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/ ... 8920120508
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Melodeous wrote:Musician Central is a fine place to kick the dust around, too. But, if HC was to sink this and/or MC would suffer the influx, AGF would be banning like crazy and the UMGF would be overwhelmed by challenges with Takamine, Yamaha, Ibanez, Gibson and every other brand speak. Just the PP and GJ forum members alone would poison the various other sites.

Over at MC, we carefully watch for trouble-makers and, so far, have been very effective in keeping their BS to a minimum.

One particular trouble-maker finally got so frustrated about me deleting his troll threads, as quickly as I saw them, that he started telling everyone who'd listen to him that I was a tyrant...and I assured him that, tyrant or not, MC is a troll-free zone, but that any non-trolling threads of his could stay...he finally gave up and hasn't been back, since. ;)

Through diligence, MV could be every bit as Troll Free...H-CPP, otoh, would take an impossible number of mods to clean up.

To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

Terry Allan Hall

Postby FretFiend. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Keeping law and order on a high-profile forum requires moderators who are ready and willing to ban as necessary to keep the peace.

The undesirable refugees from the HC sewers may well try to migrate to other forums like rats from a sinking ship, but they will quickly be eliminated from the regularly or heavily moderated places like AGF or UMGF.
FretFiend.

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 pm

FretFiend. wrote:Keeping law and order on a high-profile forum requires moderators who are ready and willing to ban as necessary to keep the peace.

The undesirable refugees from the HC sewers may well try to migrate to other forums like rats from a sinking ship, but they will quickly be eliminated from the regularly or heavily moderated places like AGF or UMGF.

:thumbup: :-D :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:

Quite correct, FF!

Terry Allan Hall

Return to Virtual Open Microphone