The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Joe, with the latest update I get a The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again. error on occasion. It seems to be something that must be somewhat common place with phpBB since I've seen that message on a couple of other phpBB forums.
daklander

Re: The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Postby Ohioarrow » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Anything you can reproduce consistently so I can take a peek?
=> Joe

Member: SAWG Society
Styles: 70s & 80s classic rock; Ballads; Easy Listening; Basically - anything mellow and sweet.
Influences: Tommy Emmanuel; David Gilmour; Michael Chapdelaine

What's cool?
Check out the - HCAG Monthly Virtual Open Mic (VOM) - Now with Music Hosting!
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Ohioarrow wrote:Anything you can reproduce consistently so I can take a peek?

Nah, it's pretty intermittent Joe.
When it occurs again I'll take a screen shot for you, even if it's one of the other phpBB forums at least you'll see the actual message. I was just wondering if you have ever seen that problem in the past and didn't think to pull a screen shot at the time.
daklander

Postby Ohioarrow » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 am

No I haven't run into that. I'd be interested is seeing a screen cap.
=> Joe

Styles: 70s & 80s classic rock; Ballads; Easy Listening; Basically - anything mellow and sweet.

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 am

Joe, I had some time to look around a bit today and found this advice. set Maximum time to submit forms: 7200
Minimum time to submit forms: 0

Another bit is: Go to the ACP - Security Settings and check the value for "Maximum time to submit forms:"

My upgrade left this value undefined and setting fixed the error message for me.

No indication as to what those that setting should be but presume it must be the same as the 1st advice.

It seems that works for some but not all and from what I gather occurs when an upgrade from an earlier version of phpBB wasn't 100% and a file may not have transferred correctly.
daklander

Postby Ohioarrow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am

We're running that setting disabled, meaning no limit. Your session will expire and turn to dust long before you hit that limit. :lol:
=> Joe

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby Ohioarrow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:16 am

Hey Dak, have you seen anymore instances of this error?
=> Joe

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Ohioarrow wrote:Hey Dak, have you seen anymore instances of this error?

Not lately Joe but I haven't been all that active on the other site/s the error has showed up. As soon as I see it again I'll post a capture.
daklander

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Here you go Joe. This was on the BWN forum this morning and the message actually showed up again when I hit the Submit button.
daklander

Postby Ohioarrow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm

You know what I hate to do? Take a guess on such matters. You go to phpbb.com support site to research an issue and you got a couple of hundred guys taking guesses at the nature of any given issue. I know people are only trying to be helpful, but going through a list of guesses that are based on partial information, or downright lack of knowledge will drive a serious technician to drink.

I run about 12 of these forums in different industries, and I have not heard of this problem. This leads me to speculate that whatever is happening is unique to your circumstances. Be it Browser, OS, ISP latency, or even hardware writes. The fact is, I just don't know without doing a micro-analysis of the issue which is obviously impossible since I don't have my hands on your machine.

I will share with you what I suspect. I notice in that screen shot, you are currently in a temp status as evidenced by the use of the SID number. That Session ID number is issued by the interpreter (PHP). Most forum software, as in the case of phpbb creates a unique Session ID in their database when you are online. Both the generic and the specific session ID's perform the same task, that is provides your local cookie with the permissions authority to do things on that forum. Once the forum creates it's own session ID, your computer should immediately pick up that new cookie. If for any reason it does not, you will continue to use the generic SID until your cookie picks up the intended session ID from the software. You can tell you are using a temp SID by the presence of the SID in the address line. The software generated session ID does not show up in the address bar.

So what I think is happening is this, you start to post a message using the generic session ID, and during the time you are writing your message, your local machine picks up the correct cookie from the software. When you submit the form, the software checks your session id, if the session id you created the message with does not match the cookie on your computer, that generates that invalid error message. IF this assumption I just made is right, it is almost certainly due to net lag (latency) through your ISP and would explain the intermittent nature of the problem.

... or ...

I might be completely wrong just like the many guesses in the support community. :idn: :facepalm:

... so ...

Let's find out if my assumption is worth the time it took to write it, shall we?

Next time this happens to you, Dak. Try to immediately hit the submit button again, does it go through? If it doesn't, try it several times to be sure of your results. Then copy your message to a notepad, and go back to where you were replying to and try to write the message again. While writing the new reply, take note if the SID number is present in your address bar or not. If there is no SID and the message goes through, my assumption is on the right track. If not we might try this:

:losingit:

BTW: this logic would not work in reverse. In other words, you could be on a temp SID and if your computer has not picked up a new cookie, the message WOULD go through because the SID in the address bar and the SID in your cookie will match. This logic would only apply IF the cookie is updated during the period of time you are message writing.
=> Joe

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

To a point your assumption may be correct. However, that message shows up with other users/members, at least on that particular forum. For a long time I figured it was because that forum doesn't have anyone who is keeping the thing updated so I was surprised to see it crop up here. When that happened I checked the BBphp forum and saw the issue seems to be rather prevalent then decided to see what you thought.

In a different vein, I have to log in each time I swing in here, even without closing a browser. I've checked the box to stay logged in. It's not all that much of an issue, but curious.
daklander

Postby Ohioarrow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Well, you got nothing to lose by trying my suggestion.

EDIT: hmmmmm, Automatic login not working would also be a symptom of not writing a cookie, lagged cookie, and/or a corrupted cookie. :idea:

... the plot thickens

(I assume you already tried the usual suspects, delete the MelodyVine cookie to rule out cookie corruption?)
=> Joe

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Ohioarrow wrote:Well, you got nothing to lose by trying my suggestion.

EDIT: hmmmmm, Automatic login not working would also be a symptom of not writing a cookie, lagged cookie, and/or a corrupted cookie. :idea:

... the plot thickens

(I assume you already tried the usual suspects, delete the MelodyVine cookie to rule out cookie corruption?)

That's only this forum Joe. I stay logged into all the other forums I belong to until I close the browser. This forum is intermittent that way. Sometimes I do have to manually log in and though this particular time the forum came up with the log in in place, none of the times this morning was that the case.
My BWSVW forum, the Blue Water Navy, even that dreaded HC forum so I seriously doubt it's an issue on my end and as I mentioned, it's not all that big a deal since my info is there, I just have to hit the log in button..
daklander

Postby daklander » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:17 pm

On second thought, I'll delete any cookies from this and the old site and see if that makes a difference in the log in situation.
daklander

Hit Again: The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting ag

Postby daklander » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Joe, that error cropped up here again and I have the time to give a run through. I don't log off so that shouldn't be an issue. I've cleared cookies and cache in the past with no difference. Today I took a long time to reply to a post, probably in the neighborhood of an hour or so and when I hit submit the error cropped up. Understand, this in not anything critical, just a minor annoyance and it crops up much more often on the other forum I frequent that's using phpBB. I find it curious that I have never seen anything like in on my forum, using MYBB, or one using SMF, both free forum software as well.
Anyway, here's the screen shot.
daklander

Postby Ohioarrow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 am

Wish you grabbed the address bar in that screen cap - did you crop this or do you have the full screen grab?
=> Joe

What's cool?
Ohioarrow

Postby daklander » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:20 pm

It's a crop Joe, sorry. I should have kept the address bar but didn't notice anything like the sid number that was in that one image. If it does it again I'll make sure to keep it.
Also, this is posted from a different computer than I was using when it happened the other times, somewhat different OS though still PCLOS, it's the 64bit version. We're also on Firefox 22 this time around.
daklander

Return to About this Community