Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup



Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby OldGuitarPlayer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Hey folks I just bought a cheap Celebrity (Ovation) acoustic however the electronics need replacing and I was wondering what you learned people would suggest? I am basically looking for an in-expensive passive undersaddle design.
OldGuitarPlayer

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Here ya go...decent quality and sound for very little $$$: http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Piezo-U ... _6419.html

Image

Also, I put one of these in a Applause for a customer and it sounds pretty good, as well: http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Soundho ... _6422.html

Image

About $10 more.
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Republic O' Tejas

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Melodeous » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:44 pm

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Surface ... _6423.html

Used one of these for years. It's an SBT and more prone to feedback than the ones Terry sampled here but they are about as convenient to use as you can want. Plus, you can search out the sweet spot on your guitar's top for the best tone. The one I used was made by Shadow and way over-priced. That's back when the little things were new and wonderful and people were ready to go spendy on the technology. Mine attached with a finish-inert kneadable putty. I have no idea how this one attaches but I'm guessing similarly.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby OldGuitarPlayer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks guys I am going to have a look at a Fishman Matrix under the saddle style pickup. Unfortunately my Ovation Celebrity model has a raised rosette around the soundhole making it impossible to use a sound-hole pickup. My Ovation is is a super shallow bowl model that came with an active under the saddle pickup pre-installed but it was dead. The bottom body of the guitar is already drilled for an output jack and two holes in the upper side of the body for a volume and tone pots. I am hoping to simply find something I can wire straight to the output jack.

Here's what the guitar looks like:

Image
OldGuitarPlayer

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby SammyeLynn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Fishman stuff is really good and I'd certainly want to give the Matrix a test drive.

Before I decided on K&K (and weighed the hassle of bridge-plate installation), I looked at USTs and heavily considered the Martin Thinline Gold ($120 at MF)

Check it out here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/martin-thinline-goldplus-acoustic-pickup-system
For some really great tunes, visit
http://www.KevinDCarlson.com
SammyeLynn

User avatar
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Disneyham, Republic of Cascadia, USA

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Fishman makes good stuff! :thumbup:

Does the preamp still work, or are you going "outboard"?
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Republic O' Tejas

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Melodeous » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:37 pm

OldGuitarPlayer wrote:Thanks guys I am going to have a look at a Fishman Matrix under the saddle style pickup. Unfortunately my Ovation Celebrity model has a raised rosette around the soundhole making it impossible to use a sound-hole pickup. My Ovation is is a super shallow bowl model that came with an active under the saddle pickup pre-installed but it was dead. The bottom body of the guitar is already drilled for an output jack and two holes in the upper side of the body for a volume and tone pots. I am hoping to simply find something I can wire straight to the output jack.

Here's what the guitar looks like:

Image


So, there was an on-board preamp installed at one time, then. Is it still there? Just the holes remain? Are you handy with wiring? Getting a preamp installed and remoting its tone and volume pots to the existing holes would make for a neater installation.

Otherwise, get the cheapo under saddle transducer and run it straight to the output jack. Then use a cheapo outboard preamp.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby OldGuitarPlayer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 am

Melodeous wrote:
OldGuitarPlayer wrote:Thanks guys I am going to have a look at a Fishman Matrix under the saddle style pickup. Unfortunately my Ovation Celebrity model has a raised rosette around the soundhole making it impossible to use a sound-hole pickup. My Ovation is is a super shallow bowl model that came with an active under the saddle pickup pre-installed but it was dead. The bottom body of the guitar is already drilled for an output jack and two holes in the upper side of the body for a volume and tone pots. I am hoping to simply find something I can wire straight to the output jack.

Here's what the guitar looks like:

Image


So, there was an on-board preamp installed at one time, then. Is it still there? Just the holes remain? Are you handy with wiring? Getting a preamp installed and remoting its tone and volume pots to the existing holes would make for a neater installation.



Otherwise, get the cheapo under saddle transducer and run it straight to the output jack. Then use a cheapo outboard preamp.



Yep I have all the parts left after I removed them from the guitar. When I first got it I changed the battery and got nothing but a severe ground hum. The pickup still works however I want something new. I have been also been thinking of somehow installing another active pickup but use the old volume and tone pots. Does anyone know were I might find a simple wiring circuit for such an installation? I kind of a newb when it comes to electronics... :oops:
OldGuitarPlayer

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am

OldGuitarPlayer wrote:
Melodeous wrote:
OldGuitarPlayer wrote:Thanks guys I am going to have a look at a Fishman Matrix under the saddle style pickup. Unfortunately my Ovation Celebrity model has a raised rosette around the soundhole making it impossible to use a sound-hole pickup. My Ovation is is a super shallow bowl model that came with an active under the saddle pickup pre-installed but it was dead. The bottom body of the guitar is already drilled for an output jack and two holes in the upper side of the body for a volume and tone pots. I am hoping to simply find something I can wire straight to the output jack.

Here's what the guitar looks like:

Image


So, there was an on-board preamp installed at one time, then. Is it still there? Just the holes remain? Are you handy with wiring? Getting a preamp installed and remoting its tone and volume pots to the existing holes would make for a neater installation.



Otherwise, get the cheapo under saddle transducer and run it straight to the output jack. Then use a cheapo outboard preamp.



Yep I have all the parts left after I removed them from the guitar. When I first got it I changed the battery and got nothing but a severe ground hum. The pickup still works however I want something new. I have been also been thinking of somehow installing another active pickup but use the old volume and tone pots. Does anyone know were I might find a simple wiring circuit for such an installation? I kind of a newb when it comes to electronics... :oops:


Depending on how fancy you want to get (and how much internal space you want to take up), here's 3:

Image

Sunrise-type preamp...very good

Image

3 bands of EQ type...also very good

Image

Pretty simple type...also very good, but you'll have to reconfigure the power supply to 9 or 18v (better bandwidth), as this one needs 24v (depending on how much trouble you want to go to).

I suspect this'll be a more expensive project than just buying one of these*, but there's a lot to be said for learning to roll your own! :thumbup:

Hope one of these'll work for you. :cool:

* http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-EAP-320 ... _6413.html
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Republic O' Tejas

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Melodeous » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Go with option 4. To do it all over again, cheap and instant gratification is best.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Melodeous wrote:Go with option 4. To do it all over again, cheap and instant gratification is best.

I'd probably go that route, as well, but OGP seems to want to make his own, and that's how you learn. :thumbup:
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Republic O' Tejas

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby OldGuitarPlayer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for the circuit diagrams Terry however they look like sqiggley lines to me...lol
OldGuitarPlayer

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Suggest to me a good acoustic guitar pickup

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:38 pm

OldGuitarPlayer wrote:Thanks for the circuit diagrams Terry however they look like sqiggley lines to me...lol

Me, too...maybe we both need new glasses, though... :wave:
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Republic O' Tejas


Return to Electronics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron