Valentine's Day gigs

Valentine's Day gigs

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm

For the 4th year in a row, in addition to my Valentine's Day gig @ Sean's Bar B Q (7th year there), I did Singing Valentines for Heidi, who owns a florist shop.

Yesterday's gigs went as follows: 9am - Singing Valentine (I Love How You Love Me)...9:20 - Singing Valentine (Unchained Melody)...fortunately, these were in the same bank, just different floors...9:50 - Singing Valentine (It Was Almost Like A Song)...10:15 - Singing Valentine (Unchained Melody) ...11 am to 2pm - Restaurant gig (where I did all three songs again, as well as many other others equally sappy)...3pm - Singing Valentine (Michelle)...:30 - Singing Valentine (Love Will Keep Us Together)...4:15 - Singing Valentine (Unchained Melody)...5:00 Singing Valentine (Love Me Tender)...5:45 Singing Valentine (Almost Like A Song)...6:30 Singing Valentine (Unchained Melody)...8:45 Singing Valentine (Unchained Melody - This was supposed to be at 7:00, but the wife/GF was off somewhere and the husband/BF paid an extra C-note for me to hang around until she showed up, drunk. She giggled a lot and kissed/groped him profusely, so he got his $$ worth! :-D ).

Long-assed day, as a couple of the Singing Valentine's were assigned to another "Singing Cupid", who showed up wasted and was dismissed :roll: , so all the other "Singing Cupid"'s had to help out by taking a couple. Fantastic $$$, as each SV paid $50, and there was often tips. The florist, Heidi, who set the SVs up, was charging $75, keeping $25 for herself, but this year, she had so many responses that she asked me to coordinate it all for her, and we split her $25 down the middle. :cool:

Think next year, I'm going to get with a florist (in NC), work out a similar deal and do it again! DEFINITELY worth the effort. :thumbup:

Edit - a pic out of a local newspaper:

To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Re: Valentine's Day gigs

Postby Melodeous » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 pm

That's a lot of work but agree about the return. I find myself agonizing about gigging at my own place. The agony comes in the form of learning a set list that will take me three hours. That's something I do not want to do on a routine basis. But, I'm getting a following. I barely have 1-1/2 hour's worth now adding in tween-song procrastination. Having given the place to my wife to run and gone back to aviation, the evening gigs make for very long days. How's that Guild holding up?
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Melodeous wrote:That's a lot of work but agree about the return. I find myself agonizing about gigging at my own place. The agony comes in the form of learning a set list that will take me three hours. That's something I do not want to do on a routine basis. But, I'm getting a following. I barely have 1-1/2 hour's worth now adding in tween-song procrastination. Having given the place to my wife to run and gone back to aviation, the evening gigs make for very long days. How's that Guild holding up?

I see a lot of us "mature" performers using song sheets and music stands, mixed in with songs we can still remember...haven't yet done that, but am considering it.

Some use a tablet, in a holder on the mic stand, but that's probably more trouble than it'd be worth to me.

What are you doing in the Aviation field, these days?
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Postby Melodeous » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:25 pm

I saw this guy who looked a good 10 years older than me with a tablet of some kind that scrolled to his songs. It sat on a music stand in front of him while he jauntily bounced to the beat. Cool dude fer shure. I'm going to have to do that. One thing about the printed page is it can take three pages for a long song like Gordon Lightfoot's Don Quixote. So, it needs to be a fold-out to keep the type size large enough to read with these near-60 peepers. No big deal at all, I suppose.

I've always been in aviation maintenance. Either working on the planes, their engines or the various parts constituent to each type of plane, I have 40 years under my belt doing that. I decided last year or so to retire from it and buy the restaurant and bar to work until I have it marketable and sell it or until I become one with the Earth again. I got it all patched up, operating smoothly with good people and equipment, my wife firmly at the helm when I suddenly became inordinately bored. So, I parlayed a position with a local aviation maintenance company and now I'm an absentee restaurant and bar owner as I supervise a bunch of mechanics fixing airplane parts at another job. That's boring as well but the advantage lies in the dual income.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Return to Performances