May MMXIII VOM (Virtual Open Mike)...post here!

May MMXIII VOM (Virtual Open Mike)...post here!

Postby Michael Martin » Fri May 10, 2013 6:48 pm

It's that time of the month, as they say :o !

Post here your recordings—as usual, all genres, all levels of refinement, all instruments, all levels of skill. Covers or originals. ALL are welcome and encouraged to post audio or audio/video files. Please feel free to comment on each other's posts if you have time--we love feedback and appreciate constructive criticism.

Please also note details about the recording—instruments, methods, devices, settings. People often wonder about this after hearing a track. If the spirit moves you, also provide personal context for the recording—what the piece of music means to you, whether a cover or an original.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from all y'all.

PS thread open for posts until midnight Sunday!
Last edited by Michael Martin on Fri May 10, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Separated by the ages and the ocean
All your provinces greet the morning one by one
On the other side savanna all aglow in the dark
As the moon adores the sun

(from "Beijing", by me): https://www.box.com/s/e39c80eb535e88a23295
Michael Martin

Re: May MMXIII VOM (Virtual Open Mike)...post here!

Postby Michael Martin » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Here's mine for May (trying out Soundcloud after a few years of using Box.net, which has been giving me trouble recently).

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/let-me-count-the-ways

I wrote this song for (and in appreciation of) my friend Zhe Ying, who is Chinese/Malaysian (hence the geographical imagery). Just one of those people you meet by chance and it feels like you have been connected for ages, and you know you will be friends for all time.

Some of you might recognize a few familiar phrases in the lyrics—I had recently heard the song "White Room" by Cream (co-written by Jack Bruce and Pete Brown), which is probably among my top-five all-time beloved songs and has been since my teens. The lyrical imagery in this song always stood out to me as especially powerful and evocative--even back in my teens, when I had no idea what any of it might have meant. And of course the title is borrowed from Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

I played this on my spankin' new Godin ACS/SA nylon and utilized a Roland GR-33 synthesizer. There are two guitar tracks: one without the synth, and one using the synth's "Wichita Pipe" effect (whatever that is). One vocal track, and then one egg shaker track and one tambourine track. The Tambo and shaker are too loud in the mix...oh well. The guitar tracks went straight into the Fostex VF80 8 track; the other three tracks went through AT 2020 mikes into the Fostex.

Let Me Count the Ways
©MDM MMXIII

Yellow tiger crouched in jungles
Moonbeam in your dark eyes I couldn't look away
Across the Yalu River and now over the Himalayas
From the bones of the Gobi Desert to the South China Sea

A mountain of moments/a river of days
How do I love you/let me count the ways
All these pieces fit so close together in the end
The best of everything there is in the heart of a friend

In a blue room with white curtains
Silver horse hurdling the wall/not a bit too soon
Strange how time flies in your dark eyes
I bid the sun rise but you hung the moon

Why do I love you/let me tell you every reason
The best of everything there is and the very best of friends
Separated by the ages and the ocean
All your provinces greet the morning one by one
On the other side savanna all aglow in the dark
As the moon adores the sun

(from "Beijing", by me): https://www.box.com/s/e39c80eb535e88a23295
Michael Martin

Postby Garthman » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

I recorded a version of "As Tears Go By" by Jagger, Richards and Oldham today (well yesterday now I suppose since it's way past midnight) in work but Box was being silly and I couldn't upload the clip. So I transferred it to a memory stick from my work's computer so I could upload later at home - only to find the file was corrupt - so "As Tears Go By" will have to wait until next month, alas.

Rather than be VOMless, I'm submitting a song I recorded a few years ago - 2009 in fact:

"Is Your Love In Vain" by Bob Dylan (from "Street Legal")

https://www.box.com/s/ufow4gv64o3xd4fohkpj

IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do) this was played on my old Ovation Applause deep-bowl fitted with nylon strings. I sold the guitar not long afterwards - mainly because nylon strings on a scant 42mm Ovation neck was not not really practicable - but I sincerely wish I hadn't because it had quite a unique sound.

Recorded in one take (as always) with Audacity via my little computer microphone.
Garthman

Postby Melodeous » Fri May 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Neil Young's After The Goldrush. Played thru the Goodall and Nady wireless to the Fishman SA220 CH-1. Shure SM57 vocal mic to the SA220 CH-2. Recorded with a Zoom H4. Next time I'm gona back the H4 up all the way across the room. I meant to do that this time but forgot. Tired. Recorded about 10 minutes ago 1-take.

https://www.box.com/s/s5arnebrldrt3uk8hxwt
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.
Melodeous

Postby Melodeous » Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Garthman wrote:I recorded a version of "As Tears Go By" by Jagger, Richards and Oldham today (well yesterday now I suppose since it's way past midnight) in work but Box was being silly and I couldn't upload the clip. So I transferred it to a memory stick from my work's computer so I could upload later at home - only to find the file was corrupt - so "As Tears Go By" will have to wait until next month, alas.

Rather than be VOMless, I'm submitting a song I recorded a few years ago - 2009 in fact:

"Is Your Love In Vain" by Bob Dylan (from "Street Legal")

https://www.box.com/s/ufow4gv64o3xd4fohkpj

IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do) this was played on my old Ovation Applause deep-bowl fitted with nylon strings. I sold the guitar not long afterwards - mainly because nylon strings on a scant 42mm Ovation neck was not not really practicable - but I sincerely wish I hadn't because it had quite a unique sound.

Recorded in one take (as always) with Audacity via my little computer microphone.

Very Dylanly done, Howard. Great song. 42mm Nylon? That's narrow. I'd go cross-eyed just looking at it. The NTX1200 was pretty narrow, fixed it, and think I still have room to bump it out further. Probably won't, though, because my kid is claiming it for his guitar of choice for lessons next school year and he has perfect hands/fingers for narrow necks. How many Dylan songs do you know? The ones I know I arranged as instrumentals.

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.
Melodeous

Postby Melodeous » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Michael Martin wrote:Here's mine for May (trying out Soundcloud after a few years of using Box.net, which has been giving me trouble recently).

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/let-me-count-the-ways

I wrote this song for (and in appreciation of) my friend Zhe Ying, who is Chinese/Malaysian (hence the geographical imagery). Just one of those people you meet by chance and it feels like you have been connected for ages, and you know you will be friends for all time.

Some of you might recognize a few familiar phrases in the lyrics—I had recently heard the song "White Room" by Cream (co-written by Jack Bruce and Pete Brown), which is probably among my top-five all-time beloved songs and has been since my teens. The lyrical imagery in this song always stood out to me as especially powerful and evocative--even back in my teens, when I had no idea what any of it might have meant. And of course the title is borrowed from Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

I played this on my spankin' new Godin ACS/SA nylon and utilized a Roland GR-33 synthesizer. There are two guitar tracks: one without the synth, and one using the synth's "Wichita Pipe" effect (whatever that is). One vocal track, and then one egg shaker track and one tambourine track. The Tambo and shaker are too loud in the mix...oh well. The guitar tracks went straight into the Fostex VF80 8 track; the other three tracks went through AT 2020 mikes into the Fostex.

Let Me Count the Ways
©MDM MMXIII

Yellow tiger crouched in jungles
Moonbeam in your dark eyes I couldn't look away
Across the Yalu River and now over the Himalayas
From the bones of the Gobi Desert to the South China Sea

How do I love you/let me count the ways
The best of everything there is in the heart of a friend

In a blue room with white curtains
Silver horse hurdling the wall/not a bit too soon
Strange how time flies in your dark eyes
I bid the sun rise but you hung the moon

Why do I love you/let me tell you every reason
The best of everything there is and the very best of friends

That was beautiful.

Melodeous

Postby seorie » Sat May 11, 2013 9:00 am

I hope no one minds - nothin fresh to offer but I'd like to contribute something - so -
I recorded this last year to let people hear a picking technique I use and was trying (badly) to describe - a sound clip is worth a thousand words kinda thing.
The tune is a Scottish pipe tune :lol:
https://www.box.com/s/4lxl7ypy2jgc4pacjtuh
seorie

Postby babablowfish » Sat May 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi,

I tried recording a bunch of songs a bunch of times, but since I have no recording skills and am just playing into the little pinhole mic on my computer, everything sounds like crap. :mad: Don't know if I can go through with this again, but anyway, here is the one that turned out the least unlistenable. It is A Song For the Life by Rodney Crowell.

https://www.box.com/s/gl0msvz7c837i6bov4oy
babablowfish

Postby babablowfish » Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Wow, 3 great performances.

Michael - Really great songwriting! I liked the melody and the beautifyl imagery in the lyrics
Garthman - I must say, I have never heard that song before, but I really enjoyed it and your performance was, as Melodeous commented, very well done.
Melodeous - I wish I could play like you but I am too lazy to practice and don't have the skill anyway. So i will just continue to enjoy your playing.
babablowfish

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Been really busy, so I just slapped this together on the spur of the moment...just a silly lil' tune that I get a lot of requests for :lol: :

Click button to play
'I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Frontal Lobotomy'
This text will be replaced by the flash music player.

Mic is a Shure SM57 into the recording program that Dak intoduced me to (n-Track Studio 7)

As usual I'm playing my beloved Guild JF-4 w/ capo @ 4th fret, using C position chords (so in the key of "E")
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Postby babablowfish » Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 am

Terry Allan Hall wrote:Been really busy, so I just slapped this together on the spur of the moment...just a silly lil' tune that I get a lot of requests for :lol: :

Click button to play

Mic is a Shure SM57 into the recording program that Dak intoduced me to (n-Track Studio 7)

As usual I'm playing my beloved Guild JF-4 w/ capo @ 4th fret, using C position chords (so in the key of "E")

Where is the button to push to play?
babablowfish

Postby Garthman » Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 am

Melodeous wrote: . . Very Dylanly done, Howard. Great song. 42mm Nylon? That's narrow. I'd go cross-eyed just looking at it. The NTX1200 was pretty narrow, fixed it, and think I still have room to bump it out further. Probably won't, though, because my kid is claiming it for his guitar of choice for lessons next school year and he has perfect hands/fingers for narrow necks. How many Dylan songs do you know? The ones I know I arranged as instrumentals.

Thank you, Joe.

Yes, 42mm neck - and a 35mm E to E string spacing. I bought the Applause (Ebay - cheap) because of the string-through bridge (intended of course for ball-end steel strings) that I could use to tie on loop-end nylons. I'd been using my old nylon string dred for a couple of years and was used to playing nylon on a narrower (than classical) neck - although the dred originally had a 43mm neck with a nut cut to 35mm E to E, there was enough space to replace that nut with one cut to 37.5mm (which is the standard E to E for a 45mm neck). Alas there was not enough space to do that on the Applause. Ah well - pity - because I liked the deep-bowl and it's unique sound.

Re Dylan: I suppose over the years I've learned around 50 of his songs. Of course I can't do that many "off the cuff" as it were - I would need to swot up on many of them. But I've settled on a dozen or so that I know by heart with another half dozen that I can polish up with short notice.

Excellent rendition of the Neil Young song BTW - great sound on that Goodall.
Garthman

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 am

babablowfish wrote:
Terry Allan Hall wrote:Been really busy, so I just slapped this together on the spur of the moment...just a silly lil' tune that I get a lot of requests for :lol: :

Click button to play

At the top of the page is "Virtual Open Mic clicky in progress"...I think that means it's being fine-tuned, so hopefully it'll be working again soon.

In the meantime, try this...http://terryallanhall.com/lobotomysong.mp3
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

Terry Allan Hall

Postby babablowfish » Sun May 12, 2013 10:24 am

Terry Allan Hall wrote:
babablowfish wrote:

Click button to play

At the top of the page is "Virtual Open Mic clicky in progress"...I think that means it's being fine-tuned, so hopefully it'll be working again soon.

That song is a scream. :thumbup: Did you write that?
babablowfish

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Sun May 12, 2013 11:06 am

babablowfish wrote:
Terry Allan Hall wrote:
babablowfish wrote:

Click button to play

That song is a scream. :thumbup: Did you write that?

Wish I could take the credit, but no, Dr. Randy Haslick, M.D., wrote it and I learned it off of Dr. Demento! :lol:
Last edited by Terry Allan Hall on Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Allan Hall

Postby Verne » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm

For this month I'd like to share a Mason Williams tune.

And it's not Classical Gas.

This one's called Kayla's Ditty :

http://www.verneandru.com/WebApp/Downlo ... eAndru.mp3

Played on a Silver Creek 000 into a Zoom H4.

Hope you enjoy.
Verne

Postby Starrshine » Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 am

I haven't posted a song in a long time it seems :confused: Not sure why! Anyway, here is something I am working on, I don't consider this to be the final outcome. It does seem that I never play a piece the same way twice.

Le Printemp Riat
Bob Starr

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr/song/17284087-le-printemp-riat

Played into my H2 Zoom on my Guild JF=30. Tuning is open D
Starrshine

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 am

Finally have had time to REALLY listen to the tunes presented this month:

MM - wow...like the tune a lot, and love the arrangement! You use the synth tastefully, without it becoming (IMABO) "overbearing"...wish more users approached the instrument's possibilities that way! :thumbup:

Garthman - nice Dylan rendition w/o it turning into a Dylan parody (so many folks've "over-Dylaned" his songs)! :cool:

Mel - Pretty good. Always nice to hear some Neil Young. :cool:

seorie - my wife want's me to worth this one up on my mandolin...she loves Celtic music! What tuning are you using? :thumbup:

Baba - as usual, very nicely done, and the sound quality's NOT as bad as you lead us to believe, or maybe it's your talent shining on through, making us overlook the recording quality. Great tune! :thumbup:

Verne - great rendition of one of Williams' lesser known tunes...haven't heard that in well over 30 years, but it still holds up! :cool:

Starrshine - Nice! Needs some words, I'm thinking, but it's pretty decent on it's own! :idea:

Killer selection this month, other than the fact that we got nothing from the ladies this time around... (hint, hint, Ellen, Sami, Misha) :-D

Terry Allan Hall

Postby seorie » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 am

well done everyone, some of these songs took me down memory lane and others made me wish I could sing and have a way with lyrics - bit late in the day for either for me.
Terry, the tune is played in open 'C' IIRC, it's originally a 'march' but I take the liberty of playing it more like a reel - here's some info and 'dots'

http://thesession.org/tunes/9507

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoiX7oy364

http://college-of-piping.co.uk/acatalog/info_1324.html
seorie

Postby Starrshine » Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks Terry for the kind words! Ah! Some of us are just instrumentalists! :) Actually, I have recently been getting quite a few compliments for my instrumentals at open mics and such
Starrshine

Return to Acoustic Guitars