Back at the second build...

Re: Back at the second build...

Postby Melodeous » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Status and cheese are in good company with each other. Great analogy. I know people who rate themselves by it and extend it to others. Sadly, it must be a lonely thing to be ruled like that.

You need to do something for you before you check out. Obviously what you're doing now is needed by others so that obligation is well in hand. If it isn't in balance with you then you've got at least one loose end to tie up. I'm also thinking of taking on other prospective endeavors that could be simple enough to manage as pass-on business to my surviving family. Age does that.

Tonight my sons and I talked about the musical trio idea. Evan suggested Sad Lisa as a first choice because it's simple enough. That's what we'll do. When that develops into an "act" that they can bring a replacement third (replacing me) then they'll have a musical bond between them that they do not have now. Planning things for my departure just may be the funnest part of this gig.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Postby SammyeLynn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm

kwakatak wrote:Sorry, Sammye,

Winter is in full swing here. These past couple of weeks have turned my kids' school schedule - and my sleep patterns - into Swiss cheese. Every day I get up and there's a message saying that one or both have at least a two hour delay. It's even thrown my weight loss regiment out of whack; a bored kid laundered my iPhone which has an app that I used to count calories. To top it all off, my wife has had one of those "who moved my cheese?" dramas in work and scheduled a mini vacation to go visit her parents and reboot. They've been sending me texts of them lounging in their pool or drinking on their Sea Ray while the kids and I are struggling to get through the winter. I'm a bit miffed but trying to reason through it.

Anyway, I know that sounds like an excuse but because of the wild swings in temperature the heat is on again off again and it's wreaking havoc with humidity. My sides and back are down at my friends in a space that is not usually heated in the winter months but at least the humidity is constant. Hopefully I can get over there on Sunday to glue the blocks in then go back Tuesday to sand the inner surface smooth and glue on the kerfing. After that, I can move on to bracing the back. With luck, by April I'll have made a "boat" (which is what they call the body when the soundboard is the last thing to be glued to the rims.

As for the top, I still have that Carpathian sitting stickered on a shelf in my basement. Somehow the ends haven't curled up but I have yet to decide on what to do for the rosette. I really want to do something different but at the same time I don't think I'm ready to get "artsy" with a mosaic rosette. Money's a little tight but I'm thinking that maybe I'll order some zipflex.

Aw shit, Neil,

You so deserve better than that. Seriously. What she just pulled is just plain fucking cruel. You already know how I feel about that femdom, power-tripper wifey of yours, so I'd better shut up now before I hop on a plane and fly out there to whup some decency into that woman.

Cool that you at least have a good place to keep the build during this gawd-awful weather. Now all you have to do is escape the kids to go work on it, at least while Ms. Florida Sunshine is around long enough to take care of her kiddies for an hour or two, or is that too much to ask?

Okay, I'll STFU about her...... for now, at least.

Mmmm...the rosette and other lovely trimmings..... That's a tough one. That would hold me up for a year, just trying to decide. Me, I adore graphic ones that somehow coordinate with the purfling. I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to that. Everybody seems to like a lot of abalone bling, lots of chrome and sparkle. I like understatement and elegance.

No matter what you do, just have a great time doing it. I'll be watching this thread and drolling over your pics.
For some really great tunes, visit
http://www.KevinDCarlson.com
SammyeLynn

Postby kwakatak » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:56 pm

Sorry to upset you, Sammye. Ours is a desperate situation and I'm just airing sour grapes. I need to be a bigger person than I've been and step up.

As for the guitar, I'm thinking of using the "traditional" elements but in nontraditional ways:

- for the ebony fingerboard I'm going to use the traditional "diamond" pearloid inlays - I have both the small and elongated ones - but in a nontraditional way. The markers on my first build were minimalist and I'm thinking that this may be the way to go here as well. When I get a chance I'm going to lay out an arrangement and shoot a picture somehow.

- for the rosette I'm thinking the herringbone ring should suffice and a nice faux tortoise shell pickguard should add some color and texture.

- I'm flip-flopping on the binding though. I like the texture of flamed maple but it's been so overdone IMO. OTOH ebony with flamed maple and fine BWB purfling might be the understated but elegant look that I'm looking for. I have ebony strips and bold BWB purfling but from what I've been told both maple and ebony are very hard to bend without cracking.

- for the end pin wedge I go with ebony to match the binding and fingerboard and use the excess from the zig zag backstrip to tie into the back. I'll cut the zig zag into two sections and leave a space between then for the end pin.
~ Neil

Kwak OLF MJMC
Martin D-16GT
Larrivée OM-03R
Fender Stratocaster
kwakatak

Postby Melodeous » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:54 am

I "see" contrasting colors well enough down to subtle differences across the cool and warm scales but the idea of favorites isn't present when mixing/matching that stuff. If it creates a finished product of plain good looks without high-contrast definition, it's good. I judge a piece of musical instrument quality wood by the straight and even grain lines and boundaries. If it has a hint of figuring I cast it off as junk wood or as 2nd-tier marketable stuff to those who play guitars with their eyes.

I look upon Samogyi's creations as the art of wood working more so than the craft of guitar making for reasons of aesthetics alone. He made a wrong turn, IMO. When I was in wood working I made all the marquetry and decorative stuff he embodies in his guitars. Flat pattern assembly of complementary wood hues worked into images in veneer then laminated onto thin backings of veneer was an art form I pursued for wall art, picture frames, chair leg front elevations and coffee table tops, etc. When I saw him doing that on guitars I thought, okay, so much for simple aesthetics in a quality build. He went disco. I lost a certain amount of respect for him when he did that. He was already doing what I mentioned I was doing, on the side, and he was very good at it. When he amalgamated it into his guitars I was a bit disappointed. But, he's producing them for customers who need to satisfy their shameless appetites for aesthetics. The interpretation of classy is certainly lost on this bipedal species.

I think Goodall brings a nice looking product to market with the straight forward purpose of supporting sound without the (Samogyi) over-stated aesthetic packaging.
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

Electric guitar tone is influenced by the wood species directly associated with the string-to-pick-up relationship, and particularly with the species Balderd Ash.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
Melodeous

Postby SammyeLynn » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Neil, ya had me at "herringbone." I love the ideas you put forth and even a minimalist person like me can't fail to imagine pretty things happening when elongated diamonds are involved. Please do take some pics of your layout ideas.
SammyeLynn

Postby kwakatak » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Scratch the pearloid diamonds on the fingerboard. I'm going with blue paua instead. They cost $1 more apiece than imitation pearl but I figure I deserve it.

The pearloid ones are going on my next build which will be for my son. That will be a short scale 00 with a Martin modified V paddle head neck - similar to what I learned on. In fact, I still have that old piece of junk and am thinking of tracing the outline to make a mold and bending form. I already have the pre-made neck and the pre slotted fretboard marked off and tapered and trimmed to accept flamed maple binding. I haven't decided on tone woods but likely it will be a Sitka top. Once I get the box closed on this one I'll put more thought into it. I was thinking walnut because my friend's logs should have aged long enough by now.
~ Neil

Kwak OLF MJMC
Martin D-16GT
Larrivée OM-03R
Fender Stratocaster
kwakatak

Postby SammyeLynn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:09 pm

Love it! The blue paua is money well spent. It's stunning.
Of all the marker styles out there, the elongated diamond is my fave.
SammyeLynn

Postby sihias » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:26 am

Cool! It looks like very great.
Enrich your life today,. yesterday is history.tomorrow is mystery.hulle6.com
sihias

Postby kwakatak » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I had a moment of pause on the back; it's not quite as wide as the rims. Luckily, there's still contact with the kerfed lining where the top comes up short and I know from experience that once I rout for binding and purfling it will be a non issue. Just to be sure, I traced the outline inside the rims and added another 1/4" outside of that.

Then I trimmed the plate proud of that line. I also marked the centerline as well as several lines demarking the zig zag center strip as well as the edges of the inside strip. Then following my plans I marked the lines where the braces are to go. As for the braces, they're planed to 1/4" wide and cut to 3/4" tall and 10" for the upper bout and 12" long for the lower bout. All that's missing is a means to apply a 16' radius to the braces or back plate. My friend has radius dishes though so it's just a matter of running the back plate through his drum sander a few times to get it to about .095" thick.

~ Neil

Kwak OLF MJMC
Martin D-16GT
Larrivée OM-03R
Fender Stratocaster
kwakatak

Postby kwakatak » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Now for the bad news: I'm giving up on the herringbone rosette. My circle cutter has too much play and I ended up routing too wide for the herringbone, which also hasn't been cooperating. That doesn't mean I've ruined the top, just that I need to alter my plan. It's actually a good thing because it allows me to get creative. In this case, I did a little looking around online and found a tutorial on how to make a radial rosette. Using some pretty inexpensive tools (such as a plastic compass) and trimmed scrap from the back I'm in the midst of creating something that should actually tie into the theme better:

I'm going to use CA glue to join all the wedges then run it through my friend's drum sander. Then after measuring several times I'll use his circle cutter to rout out a ring from this and clean up the trench in my top. With luck and some purfling I might save my bacon. I might even tempt fate and order some abalone for an inner ring to match my fretboard markers.
~ Neil

Kwak OLF MJMC
Martin D-16GT
Larrivée OM-03R
Fender Stratocaster
kwakatak

Postby kwakatak » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:22 am

The rosette is coming along. It's taking more work than it should because my circle cutter can't cut a radius small enough to do the inner circumferences so I've been using a Popsicle stick with an Exacto blade stuck through it to score a deep line to follow, then going back with the Dremel and an old mark 1 modification 0 eyeball to try and get close to - but not across the line. My friend has a better circle cutter and hope I can get over there if it's not too much of an imposition since it's so close to the holidays.

I need to GTFO regardless. I love my family but they drive me nuts and I'm trying to hold in my frustration with them.

As is stands now though, I can do a decent dry fit. There's just some fine tuning to do before the glue comes out.

PS: the top is really thin. .11" thick in the center, .09" at the edges. Right at the edge; I dare not go thinner. Lots of bass in the tap tuning.

~ Neil

Kwak OLF MJMC
Martin D-16GT
Larrivée OM-03R
Fender Stratocaster
kwakatak

Previous

Return to Acoustic Guitars