Thanks Terry........

Thanks Terry........

Postby Opa John » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm

......the big brown truck arrived a little while ago and brought the Big River "B" harp, guitar and fiddle strings and the peg drops I ordered on the 29th from MF.

Just wanted to say "thanks" for tipping me off to how good the Big River harps really are. I'm lovin' this one. I compared the tone and volume to my Special 20s and if there's a difference, my ears don't hear any.

As for the exposed brass reed plate, my lips can tell it's there, but I don't think it's gonna bother me at all. Very smooth and hardly noticeable. Hohner does a nice job on these.

I can assure you of this......any of mine that have to be replaced in the future will be replaced with Big Rivers. Actually, the main reason I bought the Special 20s to begin with was due to the nice travel case they came in and the fact that they were also on sale at a deep discount at the time I got 'em.........Thanks again.
2009 Yamaha FG730S TB
2001 Martin DM
2010 Yamaha CS-40
2013 Martin MMV dreadnought
Opa John

Re: Thanks Terry........

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Glad you like 'em...been using them since they were $10.99 per, so about 15 years, maybe. Used the Special 20s, Marine Bands, Blues Harp, probably every diatonic Hohner has ever made at one point or another (when I started playing seriously, MBs were $3.99 and BHs were $4.25...this would've been about 1968, I guess).

Mind boggling what a harp goes for these days, but the BRH is a good harp for a (relatively) reasonable price...saw 'em somewhere right @ $20 per last week.
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Postby Opa John » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Yeah, I know. I saw 'em too.......probably right here. They offer free shipping like MF, but I think they carry the Big River only in the key of "C". :idn: Besides, I had some other things mixed in with the order. If I had thought about it, I might've been able to make MF do a price match.

http://www.harmonica.com/store/harmonic ... r-harp.php
2009 Yamaha FG730S TB
2001 Martin DM
2010 Yamaha CS-40
2013 Martin MMV dreadnought
Opa John

Postby Terry Allan Hall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Opa John wrote:Yeah, I know. I saw 'em too.......probably right here. They offer free shipping like MF, but I think they carry the Big River only in the key of "C". :idn: Besides, I had some other things mixed in with the order. If I had thought about it, I might've been able to make MF do a price match.

http://www.harmonica.com/store/harmonic ... r-harp.php

That may've been the site that I saw 'em at, but I though it was some place that you could get them in all keys...hopefully, I'll remember where I saw 'em.

Hate these "Senior Moments"...
To be loved deeply gives one strength; to love another deeply gives one courage - Lao Tzu

"God(s) Bless the Rest of the World(s), Too."
Terry Allan Hall

Postby MechelleGove » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 am

It is good to see inexpensive harps, but according to my son, Big River B harps are used by kids like toys. He prefers to use harps like https://bestazy.com/best-harmonicas/ these are very expensive as compared to Big River. Hohner Super 64X and Suzuki HA20 are my damn favourite harmonicas. If we talk about guitars these are also expensive ones nowadays.
MechelleGove

Return to General Chatter